Friday, May 23, 2014

Let It Go

Image of Lori A. Moore
Lori's books are available below.
A few weeks ago I had a brief conversation with author friend Lori A. Moore about people setting a time limit on grieving or any kind of grief for that matter. 

Grief doesn’t have to be only from losing a loved one, but comes in many forms.  This is a subject I’ve studied extensively for counseling people. 

There are numerous reasons why we grieve. People grieve over a job, pet, relationship, bad decisions, material things or loss of dreams.  Did you know that women even grieve over moving?

Lori made it clear that she doesn’t believe there is a time one should “be over it,” but there is a process along the journey. 

She explains in her book “Missing Andy” how she had to walk out the process with God in order to regain the “living” part of her life.

It was her journey through grief that “furthered her relationship with God and showed her how to truly live again. Come out of a place of inconsolable sadness and discover the joy that can only be found through Christ Jesus.” (Description quote)

Turning something that was meant for bad into good can only take place when you learn the meaning of trusting God.

Moving on from our past and the things we know is one of the hardest things someone can do.  Unfortunately, I can say this from too many experiences where I had to let go of my emotions in order to move forward in my life. 

Welcome new friends this week from: 

New on DFB Kuwait; El Salvador; Dominican Republic; Lithuania; Kranj, Bohinj, Slovenia; Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India; Taiwan; France; Chili.  USA: Thank you faithful ones.
It gives me great joy welcoming new people each week.  What fun to meet you and share this Inner Journey together on Daily Favor?  (DFB - Daily Favor Blog) 
 
Feel free to leave your comments or prayer requests.  I would love to hear from you and how Daily Favor has worked in your life.  If I’ve missed anyone forgive me. Please share this challenge and invite more friends to join us.  You are making a difference!
 
Don’t miss out on this week’s challenge (below). Q & A

It’s funny that I’m sharing this writing with you this week.  I wrote it on April 10th 2014, but the timing wasn’t right. 
How I came about writing this was triggered by some teaching and a single movie clip from years ago that helped me step out in faith after some tragedies.  Yes, there have been a ton of books and videos that I watched to help me deal with the emotional part of loss and some helped.  
However, there was a silly opening scene from Night at the Museum 2 (Smithsonian) that my husband and I have ingrained in our thoughts whenever the devil tries to suck us back in past hurts...  “Let it go, baby!” 

It seems that the Apostle Paul felt the same way ...
“Brothers and sister (in Christ), as I said, I know I have not arrived; but there’s one thing I am doing: I’m leaving my old life behind, (letting it go) putting everything on the line for this mission (journey).  I am sprinting toward the only goal that counts: to cross the line, to win the prize, and to hear God’s call to resurrection life found exclusively in Jesus the Anointed.” (from Philippians 3:13-14 the Voice)

Vessels of Grace

About ten years ago there was a woman in our church that couldn’t let go of her pain and guilt.  The problem wasn’t something she did, but what she felt she didn’t do.  Her teenage son committed suicide.  The devil tried convincing her that it was her fault, even though it wasn’t true. 
The grief and emotional roller coaster she experienced literally prevented her from leaving her house and functioning in society.  It almost destroyed her marriage.

Instead of giving in to fear, by faith her husband allowed God to work through him and her other children.  The process was slow, but it was a journey the family needed to take with God where they learned “we are vessels of grace.”

Beyond the Comfort Fence

There will be a time in all of our lives where we will have to go beyond what we know.  Some refer to it as “leaving their comfort zone.” 
When we moved from all that we knew in life our lives changed dramatically – some good, some bad events transpired over the course of a few short years. 
There were things I was holding on to that I wasn't aware of until after we moved.  Bitterness, anger, resentment and unforgiveness stemmed as far back to when I was four years old. 

Not having television or a car allowed me plenty of time to think.  That's when my writing really got serious and so did my walk with God.

I knew if I didn’t get my act together emotionally that I would never reach any more of my goals or my potential.  My life could have easily been swept away in depression, self-pity and disappointment.

God showed me through simple things that were taking place in my “new life” how to move from the past and let things go.  Honestly, this wasn’t easy at first, but as I practiced what I learned the healing would come.

Lessons from My Dog

It has to make you laugh at times when God reveals things to you in the most unusual forms, for example, my dog.

When Sunshine and I went on our walks, she was always on a lead and could only go as far as the leash stretched.  If I dropped the leash on the ground she would sit down at my feet.
Even if I moved away from her, she wouldn’t move, I mean ever.  It was if she was ground tied.  I never taught her that, she did it on her own (making me look good).  It was a behavior I needed to retrain if she was to experience new things I had planned for her. 

While traveling in New York there were places we visited in Lake George that had great open fields where we could run our pets.  One particular place I loved the entire football field was fenced. 

We decided to take the pets off the leashes and let them go, running free to do what they were meant to do in life – be happy, carefree and one with nature.  As soon as I took off the leash, Sunshine would run around in every direction literally popping in the air.  Although she was free to play, she was always aware of where I was on the field and kept me in her sight. 

Sunshine would run a bit and then run right back to me.  When I called her away from an unsafe place she listened and moved with me trusting that the decision was in her best interest.

God showed me/us that no matter where we go, He is worthy of our trust.  The Lord is always going to be there and His Holy Spirit will comfort us as we venture into new territories.  He isn’t leading us into places that will cause us harm. 

Moving the Boundaries

Our lessons of trust and moving past our comfort zone wasn’t nearly over.  If we are to grow on our journey with Jesus we have to get our “emotional pain” under control.  That will take moving beyond our own boundaries of faith and into God’s faith world.

A few years ago we realized that Sunshine needed to move past some pain in her life both physically and emotionally.  Her sister moved to Heaven and so we wanted her to build new relationships with our neighbor’s dog.  In order to do that we had to make a big decision – move the fence!

When we moved the boundaries of the fence and created a new larger space for Sunshine, she still wouldn’t go past the old fence line.  The fence wasn’t there, but in her mind it was and she refused to cross over to the new area beyond the former boundaries.

Invisible Fences 

Even though we enlarged her world, Sunshine stayed in the “old” part of the yard with invisible fences holding her back.  Is that what’s happening in your world?  Perhaps God is trying to get you to cross over into the new things and has removed some fence boundaries in your life, but you are being bound by invisible fences

It took some retraining, but my pup learned that I was always with her guiding her into the new territory.  Don’t you get it?  I was the one who moved the fence and expanded her boundaries.  She didn’t ask me to do it, nor did I consult her on my actions.  Her “Master” saw that giving her more room would help her stay emotionally and physically fit.  Once she accepted the move, Sunshine thrived in the new area.  

For the longest time we could still see where the fence used to be.  It took a few summers for the grass to completely cover the line, and now you can’t even tell where the old fence was.


Holding on to God and letting go of the past.
 
Unleashed Faith

Sometimes God takes off the short leash we had as new born Christians and moves the fences in our lives to stretch our faith.  It is a testing that is implemented to encourage us to step out in faith knowing that God will be with us no matter where the fences are moved. 

In the new places He takes us, we learn different ways or approaches that we never knew existed or were needed.  Instead of getting overtaken by the “grief” of whatever it is, God helps us take that new approach so we can accomplish greater things for Him.

Jesus gave us a reason to hope when He made the statement that we would do greater things than He did.  How could that be possible?  All things are possible with God when we unleash our faith and act on His promises.  

“Jesus said to him, “If you (He meant you or me) can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” (Mark 9:23 NKJV)
Knowing Christ said we will do greater things tells us that there is more to be done, and that God wants to do it through us.  How exciting is that?  

A preacher once spoke on a conversation he had with God (in his spirit, not vocally). The Lord asked him this question:  “What things would you do if you had unlimited resources and money?”

I can imagine a list of things that popped in your head as did in mine when I heard him share this story.  You might even say, “…but I don’t have those things.”  Once more, “What if you did?”  You would be able to do all sorts of things, but that wouldn’t require faith. 

God wants us to understand we do have access to anything through Christ Jesus, but it will come through our faith when we let go of what’s holding us in the same places.


Challenge of the Week:
Unleash Your Faith

Every person who has chosen to walk this journey to Jesus on Daily Favor is experiencing new growth, whatever the level or pace.  God is removing some boundaries and asking us to let go of things that are stopping Him from taking us beyond our expectations or “more than we could ask or dream.”

Our challenge will require three things of us.

First: Literally write down the things that you haven’t let go of that are stopping your promotion in God’s favor.  These are the things that are keeping you bound and preventing you from being the best you. Be honest, you’re dreams and desires are at risk here.  Bring that list into your prayer closet and give them to the Lord one by one.

After you’ve prayed put the list inside an envelope.  On the front write this statement:

“These no longer belong to me but God, because I let them go.”

Then tuck it into your Bible at Mark 9:23 as if you were handing it to God Himself.  Use the Bible as your point of contact, believing all things are possible with God.  Ask Him to strengthen you as you take this step of faith not to steal back what you have given over to the Lord.

The next two steps involve memorization of God’s promises, so when satan tries to talk you out of your deliverance, you can say, “Not this time devil, I’ve got a promise from God!”

Second: If we are to believe by faith for our dreams, we have to believe God will first meet our needs.  Memorize Philippians 4:19.

“And my God shall supply all (speak your name here) according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”

Expect things to start going according to your prayers based on God’s Word.  It’s easy to recognize huge things, but make sure you don’t overlook the smallest boundary changes.  God is doing something, notice Him.

Third:  Every day (even past this week’s quest ending) pray the Disciple’s Prayer (some call it the Lord’s Prayer) in Matthew.  When you pray it, not quote, it something changes in the Heavenly atmosphere realm.  As you pray “us and our” be mindful that it is referring to the entire Body of Christ, not just you or your family.  

By praying for others, your prayers will be heard. In turn, God will respond to your faith granting His unlimited grace, mercy and favor. 

Jesus said, after this manner pray (say it like this):

Our Father, which is in Heaven, Holy is Your Name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done in Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from (all) evil: For Thine is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.  Amen.” (taken from Matthew 6:9-13 NKJV)

When we call on the Lord to lead us, we can freely let go of old painful boundaries and walk into a new life of hope.   Don’t count yourself out based on the fact that you lost your way on the path.  Hold on to the One who is faithful and makes all things possible.

Let your faith run wide (not your behavior) into places where you can grow.  In showing yourself faithful, God will expand the boundaries.  With your “griefs, worries and boundaries” taken away by the blood seal promise of Jesus, you are now an empty vessel waiting to be filled and used for the greater things. Unleash your faith; let it (faith) go and see where God takes you.  

 


Until next time, receive favor by unleashing your faith.

 
What's New this Week:  Missing Andy by Lori A.


Maybe you don’t know the Living God that I know, but would like to have this kind of favor in your life also.  Click on the above tab “Tell Me” for more information on becoming a child of the Savior.

Content and Image Copyright from Favored1. Do not copy. A.N.A. logo by J.C.Penney, Inc.
Scripture reference was taken from the New King James Bible Version provide by Gateway Bible.
Image credit: Google Images or Dreamstime Creative Common License if not specified.

“Missing Andy” by Lori A. Moore (Tate Publishing 2010)

Vessels of Grace, Favored1, Daily Favor Blog, Invisible Fences, Lori Moore,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit very much. If this article was a blessing and helpful please share it.